DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF BRITISH JAZZ
FROM ANY ERA AND STYLE BUT WITH THE EMPHASIS ON MODERN JAZZ

Friday, December 17, 2010

0123 Pat Hawes [Doug Dobell Presents Pat Hawes And His Band] FLAC 7(27.08)

















Contributed by bluebird, who writes:-
This is the Pat Hawes Band from 1957 and I must confess that I'd never heard of any of the musicians here except Pat. He recorded little as a leader but recorded prolifically with the likes of Humphrey Lyttleton, The Crane River Jazz band, the Christie Brothers and Cy Laurie.
He was, for many years a contributor to, and reviewer for,  'Jazz Journal' during the 1990s whilst continuing to play piano with a number of Dixieland style groups. He was a great champion for the American pianist Jessica Williams and was responsible, through his support and record reviews, for her recognition in the UK.
On these sides however Pat plays in a more mainstream style.
This one's for grumpy.
FLAC with cover scan and track/personnel details.  A better cover picture would be appreciated.

Ken Reece - trumpet
Pete Webb - trombone
Harry Salisbury - tenor, clarinet
Pat Hawes - piano
Brian Parker - bass
Tony Ward - drums

01 Wabash Blues
02 Bluesbeck
03 Happy and Satisfied
04 Taps Miller
05 A Smooth One
06 Lullaby of the Leaves
07 Blues for Midgets

Label: "77" Records LP 6
Recorded: July 24 1957

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely marvellous! I've been looking for this for many years.
    I agree, this is far more 'mainstream' than I would of expected from Pat, but his love of classic stride and boogie-woogie is still very apparent.
    Thanks bluebird, made my Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BJz & BBird ... excellent post ... Baron.
    Used to visit the old 77 shop - sad to see what was put in its place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat Hawes...another 'first' for me, so many thanks bluebird. Looks like his name was spelt incorrectly for his appearance on this Humph EP

    http://britjazz.blogspot.com/2010/09/humphrey-lyttelton-humphrey-lyttelton.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. jazzuk - thanks for the pointer - corrected at last. It's not the only instance of differing spellings of names on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat Hawes - A really good band, thanks a lot. And Harry Salisbury in particular plays well, I wonder if he was related to Gerry Salisbury, a fine trombonist/bass player who worked with Mick Mulligan and Sandy Brown in the fifties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know, John - a quick look did not reveal the answer but they were born about thirty years apart apparently so might be father and son perhaps? Anybody know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is Pat Hawes still living? My uncle, Tony Gibbons played clarinet with Pat and the Dave Carey Band.Sadly my uncle passed away in 1994. I am enjoying playing their 'complete session' 1955-57.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous - thanks for sharing your memories. We don't know present situation of Pat but Grumpy found out more than I managed.

    "Pat retired from teaching in 1983 and resumed his musical career. He was definitely playing in the 1990s appeared on several albums and recorded Salty Dog at the end of that decade. He was reviewing for Jazz Journal but I can't track down when his last review appeared."

    If anyone has more up to date news we would like to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PAT HAWES WAS MY FORM TEACHER IN HARROW IN THE EARLY 50S AND WAS KNOWN AS KILLER HAWES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the name of the scool was BLACKWELL. atHEADSTONE LANE i was there.

      Delete
  10. 'Killer Hawes'as an epitaph for a teacher? It might be appropriate; he was the ideal person to take the most difficult class on a Friday afternoon! But it would be only half the story as the kids loved him.

    I had the pleasure of witnessing his farewell to the teaching profession, when, at the end of year school assembly, he entertained 1500+ 11-18 year olds with an amazing exposition of boogie-woogie and stride piano. His closing words were 'if you want to hear me again, you'll heve to pay' ... and he returned to the life of a jazz musician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat Hawes is my father and very alive as of March 2012! He might mind if I said he is a bit elderly now but I don't think he has internet access!

      Delete
  11. Wonderful to here Pat is around, my use of the word 'epitaph' referred to his life as a teacher. I always assumed he was indestructible! I've been enjoying his record reviews at Jazz Journal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grumpy - I don't want to post my e-mail address in public but let me know the best way to e-mail you please. Stephen Hawes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you bring up my profile by clicking on 'grumpy' you'll find an email address there.

      Delete
  13. https://cjoint.net/?73xqnspvhz

    ReplyDelete